A message from the Commissioner via CI Craig Knight…


A message from the Met Police Commissioner…

“I am deeply saddened and angered that London has been tested again. In the face of another appalling, cowardly and criminal act, the real soul of this great city has shone through, demonstrating courage and resilience.

My heart goes out to the loved ones of those who lost their lives in this mindless way, and to those who were injured. 

From the heartfelt tributes and the loving words of those who knew Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones, it is clear that they were wonderful, thoughtful and gifted young people who had much to give and who wanted to improve society.

 What the few who seek to spread fear do not realise is that it only makes the rest of us more steadfast. We must continue to stand together and celebrate Jack and Saskia and the brave people who stood in the path of hate, protecting others.  

Those heroes showed profound courage as – without thought for their own personal safety – they stepped forward to challenge a coward armed with weapons and what looked like an explosive device.

On Saturday I visited the scene with the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary, and later walked the area with the Mayor.

It was poignant this horror unfolded in the beautiful, historic Fishmongers Hall, a place focussed on helping others. The Hall is in the middle of a community who once more had to evacuate, many terrified again after their experiences in June 2017.

Yet what was uplifting was to see people going about their business, huge crowds in Borough Market, and across London, getting on with life.

I also want to thank all of the emergency service personnel who worked so tirelessly – and continue to do so. I am extremely proud of the armed City of London and Met officers and their colleagues who – as ever – ran towards that danger. Their response was swift, impressive and highly professional.

When you become a police officer you know confronting danger will be part of your role. You are the thin blue line between those who seek to cause harm and the public who must be protected.

The arrival of world leaders for the NATO summit today demonstrates that we will not be intimidated. You will see a more visible police presence, providing security and reassurance. 

You also have a crucial role in helping us keep this great city safe. So what help would we like?

First, your vigilance. Millions of pairs of eyes and ears on every street, bus, inside every building.

Second, please report anything suspicious. We would far rather hear from you and it turn out to be nothing than you worry about bothering us when you may have a crucial piece of the jigsaw that could help.

Finally, let’s celebrate and champion our British values of tolerance and compassion, providing comfort and reassurance, and coming closer together, whatever our differences. Wherever possible, carry on with your normal lives. Those who seek to spread hate should know they will not succeed. 

“n fighting back, we must take on those who seek to divide us and the ideologies behind them. All Londoners have a part to play. Ours is a great city and we must emerge stronger still from this tragedy.”


Craig Knight
Chief Inspector 240237
Neighbourhoods and Partnership
South Area Basic Command Unit

Croydon Trading Standards alert – fake phone calls…. just HANG UP!


Beware of fake phone calls

The Police, the Courts and HMRC will always write to you about these sorts of matters, so if you do get a call of this type, just HANG UP!


And the link to previous bulletins is here.

Contact Croydon Trading Standards:

Email: trading.standards@croydon.gov.uk

Croydon CCG’s workshop open to anyone 30-50 yrs of age. 11 Dec, 2019

CCG header

NHS Croydon Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), who plans and funds health services for people living in Croydon, is holding a workshop to hear what you think about their plans.

They are offering a £10 voucher for each person who attends the session (for the first 25 people registered). Continue reading

Creating Conversations Cafe – St John’s, South Croydon – 10 Dec, 1.30 to 4pm – ALL WELCOME!

Join with others and volunteers from the Creating Conversations in Croydon team to discuss and reflect on all matters about death and dying over afternoon tea.

This month’s cafe will be lead by Fiona Reynolds, and will explore bereavement, grief, and loss as part of National Grief Awareness Week. Continue reading

Dementia-friendly screening at The David Lean, A Christmas Carol (1951) on Sat, 14 Dec, 2019 at 2.30pm

Check out the special Dementia-friendly screening at the David Lean Cinema each month.

The next is on Saturday, 14 December 2019 at the new time of 2.30pm

A Christmas Carol, 1951


Entry is FREE and all screenings start at 11am.  Tea, coffee and biscuits are available from 10.30am.

Bookings for these special screenings in via Eventbrite.