Sean Creighton was unable to attend the CCC meeting on this occasion. He provided handouts for those attending the meeting, with the following information:
A number of important issues are being considered by Council Committees this week. These include:
- Voter registration: see my blog item at http://historyandsocialaction.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/is-croydon-doing-enough-to-ensure.html.
- Public Space Protection Orders: A report to the changes in anti-social behaviour area orders is at the same Committee. The report states that (Para 4.1) that the Council is out to consultation on a new anti-social behaviour policy. I am emailing members of the Committee saying that this consultation is not listed on the Council’s Consultations website page and asking a number of questions about the start and end date of the consultation, why it does not appear to be on the consultations page of the Council website, whether it is the same as selective landlord licensing scheme consultation, and if not which residents and community organisations were notified of it and when, and whether a new consultation period can be launched.
- Public Health Annual Report 2015. This will concentrate on looking at geographic health inequalities. While welcoming it I have submitted a paper to the relevant Committee expressing reservations about the scope. See my blog posting at http://historyandsocialaction.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/will-croydons-proposed-annual-public.html
Council Planning Consultations
It appears that the Council is erratic in the way it publicises planning consultations. See my blog posting at https://seancreighton1947.wordpress.com/2015/01/24/the-mystery-of-croydons-planning-consultations
Croydon Assembly working parties
- Welfare & Pensions: Thursday, January 29, 7pm. Ruskin House, 23 Coombe Lane
- Race & Immigration: Wednesday, February 4, 7pm. Ruskin House, 23 Coombe Lane. Nero of the Croydon BME Forum will be taking a lead role at this meeting. It will be considering the proposal from Unite Retired member branch and Croydon TUC on the need for a Croydon Against Racism and Discrimination campaign group. See my blog posting at https://seancreighton1947.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/call-for-establishment-of-croydon-against-racism-and-discrimination
Whitgift Centre CPO Inquiry
Starts 3 February. For full details and the first batch of evidence submissions see http://persona.uk.com/Whitgift/index.htm. See new Facebook group Historic Croydon to work on protecting the Town Centre’s historic built environment – set up by Andrew Kennedy as a follow-up to his submission to the Inquiry. https://www.facebook.com/groups/419994868157200
Campaigning for Civil Rights Films
Three film shows are being sponsored by Agenda Services, Croydon Radical History Network and Croydon BME Forum
4 March. Divided by Race. United in War and Peace (WW11 servicemen)
18 March. Looking for Claudia Jones
30 March. Freedom Riders
Further details will go the web later this week, and can also be obtained from me.
Croydon Heritage Festival 20-28 June
Planning is well under way. If you want to get involved contact Catherine Shirley (Whitgift Foundation) at CatherineShirley@whitgiftfoundation.co.uk. Events under the umbrella of Agenda Services and Croydon Radical History Network include:
- play about Olaudah Equiano and talks about him and other black abolitionists
- talks on Croydon and slavery and Croydon’s Black presence; introduction to history of labour movement in late Victorian/Edwardian period; black soldiers and sailors in the French wars.
- Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Walk in Selhurst
Agenda Services (Heritage & Cultural Projects)
Convenor Croydon Radical History Network
Convenor Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Network
26 January 2015
Download a copy here: Sean Creighton’s update 28 Jan 2015
Find Sean’s website here: https://seancreighton1947.wordpress.com/